I don’t broadcast this in any and all conversation, but when asked if my husband and I plan to have children, I say that we don’t. I don’t necessarily think it’s someone’s business to ask but people do and that’s just human nature so I get it and don’t hold it against them. I just know I have to be prepared for the questioning and strange looks that follow saying “no.” People are curious and we’re newlyweds so it comes with the territory. Plus, I have mad-birthing hips.
So if being a parent is just not in the cards for you (for whatever reason) here are five signs that having kids may not really be for you:
- You don’t find kids appealing. If you don’t even like being around them, then it may be a sign.
- You’ve only ever wanted kids for the wrong reasons. You shouldn’t only consider having kids because you’re afraid you’ll miss out and regret it later.
- You can’t imagine cutting back on work. For some people, their job is and will always be the focus of all of their attention–and that’s a legitimate choice.
- You never think about what goes into it. If you’re confused about what other parents are doing, it might mean that you don’t have the instinct.
- You just know it’s not for you. Even if you love kids, you might still know that you don’t want kids. Because sometimes your life is happy just as it is.