This is totally worth printing and putting on the fridge as a reminder of what to avoid in order to have a good night’s sleep!
The following 7 foods could affect your sleep and/or give you wild dreams and should be avoided before bedtime:
- Spicy food. Spicy foods can not only alter your dreams, but can also increase your chances of remembering them due to the fact that they usually cause indigestion.
- Cheese (And other dairy products). Results from a 2015 study showed that “the most frequent foods mentioned as causing both disturbing (44 percent) and bizarre (39 percent) dreams were, in fact, dairy, including cheese, milk, and ice cream.”
- Baked goods. Eat This, Not That! reports that one study found that 31 percent of participants’ “bad dreams” occurred when they enjoyed sweet treats before nodding off.
- Chocolate. Chocolate is high in caffeine, which could disrupt your sleep patterns.
- Greasy takeout. The more greasy foods you eat, the more likely you are to have nightmares.
- Apple cider vinegar. One spoonful of apple cider vinegar before you snooze can potentially result in some eerily realistic dreams.
- Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. PB&J sandwiches have actually been dubbed “the perfect dream food” because the bread and the jelly are great sources of simple carbohydrates–which are great for sleep.