Do you ever accept friend requests on Facebook from an ex – but your finger hovers over “accept” for a really, really, really long time? Navigating a breakup can be difficult in any situation – but especially if you continue to see your ex’s face all over social media. With that in mind, here are seven cringeworthy interactions we’ve all had with an ex online:
- Liking their Instagram post from 10 weeks ago. You know that feeling of panic: The accidental Instagram like.
- LinkedIn telling you there looked at your profile. If they aren’t connected with you already, they’ll view your profile and probably try to connect with you at some point.
- Stalking their new partner. Obviously you want to know everything about them, even though it’s a terrible idea.
- Late night DMs. At some point, you’re going to see their face in your DMs asking how you’ve been.
- Awkward Facebook congratulations. Whether it’s a birthday, a new job, or even an engagement, you’re either going to hear from an ex or reach out to an ex for some big event.
- Seeing them on a dating app. The hard truth: The less you like them, the more likely they are to show up while you’re swiping.
- Unfollowing after a breakup. The best thing you can do when it comes to interacting with your ex on social media is unfollow them. Especially right after a breakup.