You know that fatherly phrase that you found incredibly annoying when you were in your teens? You probably see the wisdom in it now that you’re an adult. To this end (just in time for Father’s Day), Elite Daily has come up with a list of things dads say that only make sense once you’re an adult:
- “You Shouldn’t Have To Change To Make Someone Like You.” When you were younger, you brushed this aside. Middle school and high school felt like forever, and not changing yourself to conform to the current trends and what your friends deemed “cool” didn’t seem like the way to go. By now, you should know you’re pretty awesome and have so much to offer the world. Become the person you want to be, and don’t ever change yourself to make another person like you more.
- “Confidence Is Key.” Confidence is the number one trait you need to unlock doors in so many areas of your life, from friendships and dating, to your career. It takes someone in their 20s who’s #adulting to realize dad was onto something important. Your skills will get you far, but confidence in yourself gets you even further.
- “Take Your Life One Day At A Time.” Everything you want to see yourself accomplish and achieve isn’t going to happen all at once. Dad’s always telling you to enjoy the present. You’ll get to where you need to be, when you need to be there. For now, soak up all today has to offer.
- “Figure Out What’s Most Important To You.” In so many words, Dad has told you life should be about the things and people you love. You don’t want to end up with more regrets than incredible memories. Spend your life the right way by pursuing your dreams, keeping in mind your values and pouring out love to the people who matter most to you.
- “Work Hard.” The goals you want to achieve, and places you want to explore, aren’t going to casually fall into your lap. If that new promotion were super easy to attain, literally anyone could do it. Dad taught you all of your hard work is what makes everything worth it.