Have you ever had one bad date after another and just asked yourself “why am I putting myself through this at all?” While actively dating can be fun, it can also be a lot of work. And not just the processing of meeting someone but also the bad connection after bad connection that can leave you feeling lonely and pessimistic!
I was once dared to take a 6-month break from online dating. Although not a full-on break from dating, walking away from the distracting, addictive apps and websites and scanning profiles gave me the opportunity to meet guys in-person; leading to a long-term relationship just as my 6-month dare was about to expire.
With that in mind, here’s a list of nine benefits of taking a break from dating:
- You learn about yourself. Give your mind a break to reboot and remember what’s important to you.
- You can tend to what you’ve neglected. There’s nothing wrong with prioritizing dating, but taking a break can get you back in touch with everyone else.
- You can remember there’s a life outside of dating. Spend some enjoying your favorite hobbies and discovering new ones.
- You’ll start to love yourself again. Remember that you don’t need to be with anyone, because you are enough.
- It can make dating seem fun again. If you take a break, the idea of meeting someone should start to actually feel exciting again.
- More money and fewer problems. You can save money – or spend it on something you actually love (like yourself).
- You can get some short term goals together. Set up a year plan or a five year plan when you’re really focusing on you–and stick to it.
- You can read a book. If all your time has been taking up on dating, you may have let self-improvement and self care go out the window.
- You can travel solo. It’s the perfect opportunity to take advantage and spend some quality time with yourself.