It’s often hard to calm your brain and body down at bedtime. With that in mind, check out this list of science-based hacks that will help you help you fall asleep more quickly:
- Cool down your brain. A study from the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine showed that keeping your brain cooled down can help with insomnia. A simple solution is to keep your bedroom at a cool temperature when you go to sleep, or to invest in a cooling mattress pad.
- Take a sleepy supplement at bedtime. Magnesium boots up the parasympathetic nervous system (which is the body’s control room for calming you down), which ultimately helps you relax and chill out.
- Do this one breathing technique. Here’s how you do it: Inhale to a count of four, hold your breath for a count of seven, and exhale for a count of eight. Repeat as much as you need to.
- Keep your socks on. A study published in the international science journal Nature found that keeping your feet warm helps you fall asleep more quickly.
- Splash your face with cold water. The dunk specifically allows for an added shock-and-relax response to your nervous system.