Grammy Award nominees were announced yesterday! Some people are saying that this year’s list of nominees is “male-dominated,” while USA Today praises the Recording Academy for its abundance of non-white nominees.
JAY-Z, Kendrick Lamar and the Latin pop smash “Despacito” are the leading nominees in the major categories for the 2018 Grammy Awards. Both JAY-Z (who earned eight total nominations) and Lamar (seven nominations) are up for Album of the Year for 4:44 and DAMN, respectively. Meanwhile, JAY-Z’s “The Story of O.J.” and Lamar’s “Humble” earned nods for Record of the Year, while JAY-Z’s 4:44 title track is up for Song of the Year, which is a songwriters’ award. “Despacito” is likewise up for both Record of the Year and Song of the Year, while Childish Gambino (a.k.a. Atlanta star Donald Glover) is in the running for Album of the Year (for Awaken My Love!) and Record of the Year (for “Redbone”). Other multiple nominees include Ed Sheeran, R&B artist Khalid and pop star Julia Michaels.
Grammy Nominations 2018, Top Categories:
- Album of the Year: Awaken My Love!, Childish Gambino; 4:44, JAY-Z; DAMN., Kendrick Lamar; Melodrama, Lorde; 24K Magic, Bruno Mars.
- Record of the Year: “Redbone,” Childish Gambino; “Despacito,” Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee featuring Justin Bieber; “The Story of O.J.,” JAY-Z; “Humble,” Kendrick Lamar; “24K Magic,” Bruno Mars.
- Song of the Year (songwriters’ award): “Despacito,” Ramon Ayala, Justin Bieber, Jason “Poo Bear” Boyd, Erika Ender, Luis Fonsi, and Marty James Garton; “4:44,” Shawn Carter and Dion Wilson; “Issues,” Benny Blanco, Mikkel Storleer Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, Julia Michaels, and Justin Drew Tranter; “1-800-273-8255,” Alessia Caracciolo, Sir Robert Bryson Hall II, Arjun Ivatury, and Khalid Robinson; “That’s What I Like,” Christopher Brody Brown, James Auntleroy, Philip Lawrence, Bruno Mars, Ray Charles McCullough II, Jeremy Reeves, Ray Romulus, and Jonathan Yip.
- Best New Artist: Alessia Cara, Khalid, Lil Uzi Vert, Julia Michaels, SZA.
- Best Pop Vocal Album: Kaleidoscope EP, Coldplay; Joanne, Lady Gaga; Lust for Life, Lana Del Rey; Evolve, Imagine Dragons; Rainbow, Kesha; Divide, Ed Sheeran.
- Best Pop Solo Performance: “Love So Soft,” Kelly Clarkson; “Praying” Kesha; “Shape of You,” Ed Sheeran; “Million Reasons, Lady Gaga; “What About Us,” Pink.
- Best Country Album: Cosmic Hallelujah, Kenny Chesney; The Breaker, Little Big Town; Heart Break, Lady Antebellum; Life Changes; Thomas Rhett; From a Room Vol. 1, Chris Stapleton.
- Best Rock Album: Emperor of Sand, Mastodon; Hardwired…to Self-Destruct, Metallica; The Stories We Tell Ourselves, Nothing More; Villains, Queens of the Stone Age; A Deeper Understanding, The War on Drugs.
- Best R&B Album: Freudian, Daniel Caesar; Let Love Rule, Ledisi; 24K Magic, Bruno Mars; Gumbo, P.J. Morton; Feel the Real, Musiq Soulchild.
- Best Rap Album: 4:44, JAY-Z; Flower Boy, Tyler, the Creator; Laila’s Wisdom, Rapsody; DAMN., Kendrick Lamar; Culture, Migos.
- Best Alternative Music Album: Everything Now, Arcade Fire; Humanz, Gorillaz; American Dream, LCD Soundsystem; Pure Comedy, Father John Misty; Sleep Well Beast, The National.
- Best Urban Contemporary Album: Awaken My Love!, Childish Gambino; American Teen, Khalid; CTRL, SZA; Free 6lack, 6lack; Starboy; The Weeknd.
The 2018 Grammy Awards take place January 28 and will be hosted by James Corden.